5 Simple Ways to Share Kindness in Your Community
We can all use a little more kindness in our lives. Bringing your community together is more important than ever during these difficult times. There are many that could use a helping hand right now, and by spreading positivity and, you can help those around you feel more connected.
Doing kind things, even if they’re small, can help lift the spirits of people who may be struggling. By welcoming the newest resident with a gift, helping the elderly out with their groceries, or just by saying a friendly hello, you can make your neighborhood a more inclusive place.
Here’s how to welcome new people to your neighborhood or promote a sense of community with these acts of kindness.
1. Bake Fresh Cookies to share kindness
Who doesn’t love freshly baked cookies? If you have a go-to recipe you love to use, make a big batch to share with your neighbors. Not only will your house smell great, but it will surely bring a smile to your neighbor’s face. Here’s an easy recipe for lemon cookies — a perfect treat for summer!
You will need:
- 1 box of lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Mix ingredients together and form into small balls. Then, sprinkle your cookies with powdered sugar and bake at 350℉ for six to nine minutes. For the final touch, tie off your treat bag with one of these printable tags.
2. Write a Positive Note to share kindness
Leave a nice positivity note for one of your neighbors. This can be a sweet and simple message or a letter of encouragement! Surprise them by putting it on their door or in their mailbox.
3. Make a DIY Candle to share kindness
Get crafty and create some DIY candles that you can give to your neighbors. Here’s a quick and easy how-to:
- Melt soy candle wax in a double boiler for 10–15 minutes.
- Add your favorite essential oil scent to the wax once melted.
- Glue a wick to the bottom of your candle container and let it dry.
- Remove wax from the stove and let it cool slightly before pouring it into your heat-safe container.
- Pour in your wax and let sit for about four hours until the surface is firm.
- Cut down your wick so it’s half an inch from the surface of the candle.
Once your candle is complete, place it in a bag and tie it off with a gift tag! This will surely brighten your neighbor’s day.
4. Give a Treat to a Pet to share kindness
If your neighbor loves animals, surprise their pet with some delicious treats! You can either get some at the store or try a homemade recipe to make it extra special.
5. Gift Flowers to share kindness
Make your neighbors’ day brighter with a new plant, like a cute succulent or fresh-picked flowers. Decorate your gift with a fun plant tag — you can also give out packets of flower seeds for them to plant themselves!