Reflections at Descanso Gardens
November 14th – January 10th
After we have experienced the most difficult years, this holiday season Descanso Gardens invites you to Reflections at Descanso, a celebration of this world’s hopes and peace celebration. From November 14th to January 10th, the day celebration will replace Enchanted Forest of Light (this year, due to COVID cancellation) and will include art pieces, special plantings, self-guided activities and a beautiful Wishing Tree created by Artist Kaz Yokou Kitajima.
Tickets must be purchased in advance at descansogardens.org. Pricing is the same as general admission.
Upon arrival, guests will receive a printed guide that includes activities, instructions to write your wish and garden tidbits. Highlights of Reflections include:
- Reflective Tree: As you stroll through the Camellia Forest, take a moment to reflect and enjoy a walk. In the forest is a tree adorned with mirrors that reflect the light and beauty around it.
- Winter Plantings: Descanso Gardens’ Promenade always features the beauty of the season and will be transformed with plantings that celebrate winter in the gardens.
- Golden Grove: Gold-burnished logs and stones will appear from the base of the oaks creating a festive glow among the oaks. Look closer and you will find clues about things that live in this place. See how many questions you can answer.
- Floral Arches: As you enter the garden, there will be multiple arches at Center Circle decorated by different floral artists and changing every 2-3 weeks. Materials will be natural but not necessarily living. These make for festive and eye-catching photo opportunities.
- Wishing Tree: Make a wish for the season on Descanso’s Main Lawn with artist Kaz Yokou Kitajima’s Wishing Tree. The artist will reuse the wood from a recently felled oak in the garden to make this special piece that is all about hope and wishes for the new year. As part of the sculpture, visitors will be invited to make a wish for the new year.
- Deer Sculptures: Artist David Lovejoy will create a family of deer out of natural and recycled materials to populate the pond area.
“We are really disappointed that we had to cancel Enchanted this year out of an abundance of caution,” said Juliann Rooke, Executive Director, Descanso Gardens, “but we wanted to replace it with an experience that is comforting and peaceful for everyone. Reflections will be full of lovely surprises that celebrate nature and soothe the soul. It will have something for everyone, appealing to nature-lovers of all ages.”
Hours will be 9am-5pm daily. Advance ticketing is required and can be purchased at descansogardens.org. Pricing is the same as general admission. The Gardens will be open every day except for Dec. 25.
Founded as a public garden in 1953, Descanso Gardens is located at 1418 Descanso Drive, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011. Descanso Gardens is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults; $11 for seniors and students with a school I.D.; $5 for children 5 to 12, and free for children under 5.
Descanso Gardens is a member-supported garden accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. Join Descanso Gardens and enjoy free admission and early entry year-round. Information: (818) 949-4200 or descansogardens.org.